找回密码
 注册老北京网

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 7156|回复: 14

英语学习小常识

[复制链接] 放大 缩小 原始字体
发表于 2010-8-18 23:23:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Does anyone know the differences between ESL and EFL?

$ P" O9 g# ]5 ?

What do they stand for?

& D) C/ n+ }. o0 v0 f/ H2 T+ @

And in what area are they the same?

回复

举报

发表于 2010-8-21 10:26:00 | 显示全部楼层

ESL is the "english as second language". EFL is the "english as foreign language." The difference between them is the degree that they were ragarded, used, and  educated.

$ G4 E: C9 t6 n) a" t2 I

India is an ESL country.English and Indian are their official language. They learn Englsh at the degree with Indian. But in China and Japan, though we have a lot of English courses, English is still a foreign language for us. Our official language are only our native language.

: m z* |( }/ E' m) w$ w" ~: k8 {

In all, the ESL contries sometimes are the Commonwealth.

楼主| 发表于 2010-8-28 10:56:00 | 显示全部楼层

You are correct. ESL is English being taught and learned within the language environment. EFL is the language being taught and learned without the environment.

) o& {" {) Q0 ^& u7 j8 e+ m

Plus, most ESL in the US is much of a survival English, but EFL here in China is more of academic format.

. ~9 {, Y1 M, b$ P" G

3 O" N' N7 J! f

大家也说说看

发表于 2010-8-29 15:37:00 | 显示全部楼层

English as the official language: U.K., Ireland Republic, U.S.A., Canada, Berlize, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji Island, Vanuatu and so on

# z4 T1 G6 x5 Q. p: X0 z* T

, w; w7 B# r6 |. C) m, B1 ?% h

ESL : India, Pakistan and some other countries which belong to the Commonwealth and are controlled by Her Majesty.  

楼主| 发表于 2010-11-9 10:27:00 | 显示全部楼层

I think, Your Majesty:

. c- a+ ~1 s( O

/ l- m( X w: }. j

ESL: is for those countries whose 1st languages are Englishes of the same kind (English is taught and learned as a Second Language) and

. N; E7 C* Y' f O! l h9 T

1 e# }# H0 a* G% a) Z& Z, e# D* v

EFL: is for those whose 1st languages are NOT Englishes. (English is taught and learned as a Foreign Language)

楼主| 发表于 2011-2-5 11:14:00 | 显示全部楼层

What is SAT?

SAT is a word that becomes hearable in China day by day. What does SAT mean to Chinese, teenagers in particular?

/ |. }3 ]+ ?# ?# o& |+ I

. y( _" u! ] \; S6 f7 J8 @

SAT 一词已慢慢进入中国人的耳朵里,但它有什么含义,特别对中国的青少年而言意味着什么?

楼主| 发表于 2011-2-12 20:00:00 | 显示全部楼层

先试着翻译陛下的感言:

$ \( u# m, j$ U* m# J& x4 u4 i

SAT是指“学术评估测试”,它是在美国想到大学攻读学士学位的入门考试。据我所知,越来越多的中国16-7岁的学生参加这个考试已成为一种趋势。实际上,一种很好的选择之一就是出国留学,但更重要的却是家庭的经济背景。我同样还发现很多适龄青年只是在盲目地报名参加这个测试。当他们真的开始在国外上课时,(在语言和发挥上)却是素手无策。

, T. M# k2 f+ ^! I

1 N) o: P' M3 T3 P, F8 o

Well, very impressed,your Majesty. SAT is getting popular here in China.So are teenagers studying overseas. I'd rather think that this will be a very good momentum for those well-to-do family to have the children try not only the family financial abilities but the child at the international platforms as well.  

3 ?4 r0 y: f8 }9 b; A& P' G! k4 l

As a matter of fact, this test is not as it is sometimes called in China "American College Entrance Examination" (so-called 美国高考)but simply, a test for those who did not study well and/or complete the US senior high schools. Those who take the test in the US would have another chance to qualify themselves to go back to college through the test scores. Therefore, thousands of colleges in the US would recognize and accept appliants with high scores of SAT.However,like we heard already, so many Chinese teenagers are taking the test blindly without getting to know the key. Please think about it again and try to get online to figure more out about the test requirement and how Americans' view points before your decision in paying for it.

! r t& E L# e+ ^5 r# ?

/ F8 S9 V$ J9 F: T- u" o

印象深刻啊,阁下。SAT在国内越来越受到重视,就像更多的适龄青年低龄出国留学一样。我认为这将是一个很好的势头,能让那些经济情况较好的家庭不但在国际平台上一展实力,同时也让自己的孩子经历锤炼,定是件好事。

, Q) a, S s$ `6 Z. P8 R

其实,这个考试并不像国内有时被称作“美国高考”那样的。简而言之,只是为了那些美国高中没念好或没有毕业的年轻人能被证明有另一个上大学读学士学位的“机会测试”。为此,数以千计的美国大学接受并录取有好的SAT成绩的申请学生。然而,像我们所了解到的,很多中国适龄青年是在非常盲目地参加这个考试,并非了解关键所在。请在决定付钱报名之前认真了解并上网查明考试要求和美国人的观点和意见。

* g0 b3 o. x9 T5 n* w' m

! A1 W5 x. M! `# o" Z, ^

% O3 o& D! b0 b+ n7 W& N2 c3 X

) |" C2 l2 B$ j2 t5 O, r

1 V4 m( Z+ e' G: p

发表于 2011-2-12 17:13:00 | 显示全部楼层
SAT stands for Scholastic Assessment Test, which is the entrance exam for the students who want to take their study for Bachelor Degree in U.S.A. As far as I know, it's really a trend that more and more Chinese students take it when they are at 16 or 17. In fact, learning abroad is really a good choice but the financial power of your family is the support. And also, I find that lots of teenagers are taking it blindly. When they start to study in the foreign class, they may feel repentant of their decision.
发表于 2011-2-18 18:17:00 | 显示全部楼层

That's right, the same with IELTS and TOEFL, also with GRE

0 C9 w: P' N p; s0 v; R

同样啊,托福雅思什么的,考一次贵着呢,我身边同学有有钱的,考好几次,一次一千多,不在乎。唉,有钱就是不一样,谁知道出国真能怎么样呢。我没那么多钱,准备考的话估计也不会那么多次。

楼主| 发表于 2011-2-19 11:51:00 | 显示全部楼层

This is way beyond the English ABC, though. I do wish I could give some lectures in my BJ office if I   were there today. There is so much to say for that matter because some of the Agencies are quite misleading, I mean wrong information for the students, as well as their parents.

2 X: H1 N3 W! ?& I" |

SAT is for those above 16 years of age to prepare college and/or over 18 but did not finish high school in America. It is NOT required for the international students like Chinese kids.

6 N ~, i/ R1 j# ~8 \' }" j

TOEFL and GRE are pretty much the same as ever. IELTS is somewhat the same as TOEFL with     some dirty tricks in itself. I truly suggust those to get to know the tests WELL before paying for them.

0 M# e W) \/ i& ~* }

4 y2 W4 S% n7 t+ {7 E8 z

这个话题远远超出“英语学习小常识”的范围了。要是今天就在我北京的办公室的话,真想搞几个讲座给那些关心的人。要说的话很多,原因是有些中介机构是误人子弟的,同时也误导家长。

* T. A. }' r; s# n$ y! r6 Y2 i

SAT是在美国给那些够16周岁以上就有计划上大学或是18周岁以后没有读好高中的美国孩子的考试。对国际小留学生(比如中国孩子)来说,它并不是一个必须要通过才能被录取的考试。

3 x" [8 T- U3 a: g

托福和GRE和以前一样大相径庭。雅思是几年来出现并与托福考试类似,但有自己的“诡计和窍门儿”。我真诚地建议在付钱之前弄清这些考试的目的。

! X7 O/ {! Y3 {; q

楼主| 发表于 2011-3-7 18:47:00 | 显示全部楼层

I only figured out today that most of students interested in going to further their undergraduate education in the US have to take official SAT in Hong Kong. I wonder why the high school kids have to do that as a necessity? It is quite unnecessary to do so.

9 k; Q: V' |% c# R+ D2 g, n

我今天才了解到大部分有兴趣到美国读大学本科的学生一定要到香港才能参加正规SAT考试。让我纳闷儿的是他们为什么一定要这么做呢?根本没有任何必要这么做的。

发表于 2011-3-9 17:35:00 | 显示全部楼层
啊?不可能啊,我宿舍的一个人,考了雅思就去美国了,从大一开始读的
 楼主| 发表于 2011-8-7 17:25:00 | 显示全部楼层
It all depends on what college your are applying for, acceptance and financial aid, freshman level in particular.
发表于 2011-9-6 22:47:00 | 显示全部楼层
QUOTE:
以下是引用靳京在2011-8-7 17:25:00的发言:
It all depends on what college your are applying for, acceptance and financial aid, freshman level in particular.
& R. L; _( t4 ]" c: J0 X

i've got it, thanks a lot!

楼主| 发表于 2011-9-11 23:46:00 | 显示全部楼层
Some of the information from the Agents in China are quite misleading for the lack of accuracy on colleges in the foreign countries. Their purpose is mainly to take big money from the parents' pockets. 
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册老北京网

本版积分规则

上个主题 下个主题 快速回复 返回列表 官方QQ群

2000.11.1,老北京网自创办之日起,已经运行了 | 老北京网

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 21:23 , Processed in 1.167067 second(s), 5 queries , MemCache On.

道义 良知 责任 担当

CopyRight © 2000-2022 oldbeijing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部