QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 6115|回复: 1

Lantern Festival celebrated across China

[复制链接] 放大 缩小 原始字体
发表于 2009-3-6 21:33:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Shenzhen: (source: szdaily web edition)

% `4 f7 }4 w7 H; W y, Y

LANTERN shows, lion and dragon dances and parades were held across the city yesterday (Mar 4) as communities celebrated the annual Lantern Festival, marking the end of the Chinese New Year festivities.

/ }( C* d( }* D3 u

On Zhongying Street in Yantian District, local residents celebrated the day with their unique century-old fish lantern dance dating back to the early Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

7 ]4 L1 G7 |+ j7 a

During the performance, fishing scenes were performed by villagers who played fishermen, shrimps, crabs and other sea creatures, accompanied by traditional Chinese instruments. The dance was placed on the provincial cultural heritage list last year.

& p( }. C/ v- Y- Z( s! k

/ S/ _' y- Q" R. s+ y# L T( i

: S( I3 f9 f4 R, C: I) Y& m

In Shawei community in Futian, people marked the festival with Hakka basin dishes and traditional sacrificial ceremonies.

# T6 V, p- I5 }8 h- M6 j

Last night, tens of thousands of people went to Lotus Hill Park, Haibin Park, Dameisha beach and Fairy Lake Botanical Garden to enjoy the first full moon of the lunar new year, according to the lunar calendar.

& `6 o+ p" ?2 {) l% z- j

Theme parks such as Window of the World also offered lantern shows and riddles for tourists.

! Y) ~. M* ?$ l' `2 {7 I

Rice dumplings with sweet or savory fillings, the traditional Lantern Festival dish, were best sellers in local supermarkets.

. D0 w9 Z- ?' g

Hundreds of Shenzheners who donated blood yesterday at Huaqiangbei, Dongmen and Nanshan received roses from the blood center, as the Lantern Festival is also known as Chinese Valentine's Day. In ancient China, girls were only allowed to go out on the day of Lantern Festival, and guessing lantern riddles was their only chance to meet men.

& N! c. I1 P; W4 l) _4 a: m

While a full moon was expected for the festival, a rare eclipse of the full moon occurred yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m.

s7 b( U- A- B0 R

"Although an eclipse of the moon itself is common and can be seen twice to three times a year around the world, those coinciding with the Lantern Festival are rare,"said a spokeswoman surnamed Liu from the local meteorolgocial observatory.

% i: F; ^5 I( e

The last Lantern Festival full moon eclipse happened was Feb. 10, 1990, and the next is expected March 3, 2026.

' A0 z4 |9 W* ?! I- N* T

However, most local astronomers will have to wait another 19 years following cloudy skies yesterday morning.

! S, J2 }) z7 u

/ p$ }5 E6 ~$ e. X

! O% h- v5 j: Q4 Y7 s4 m& S

Flickering red lanterns, loud firecrackers and laughter when people goof on word puzzles - such was the scene when some Beijing folk organizations crammed into an old hutong to relive long-gone Lantern Festival traditions.

3 n1 ? G/ P3 P1 I# r# Y

The Chinese Lantern Festival, or 'Yuanxiao Festival', takes place on the 15th day of the first lunar month, the first night of the new year with a full moon. Celebrations often carry on from the 13th day to the 17th day of the lunar New Year.

2 ^5 } ?% t" d2 j1 s2 ~

Traditionally people would hold a five-day carnival nationwide by hanging up red lanterns believed to bring good luck, guessing word puzzles, performing lion and dragon dances and eating yuanxiao - a round-shaped dumpling made of glutinous rice and a sweet filling.

+ K% O* c7 K8 W; D2 d

"It seems that the only celebration left these days is eating," said Gao Wei, secretary general of the Beijing Folk Art Association, who attended the presentation of the traditional rituals in a hutong restaurant that serves traditional Beijing food.

) J* g: u2 h+ U$ j; |, J

"We want to remind the public of traditions which are fading away among the forest of high-rise buildings," said Zhang Wei, the organizer of the activity and founder of the Old Beijing website which records old hutongs before the bulldozers move in as part of Beijing's relentless modernization.

6 ~' j1 U( ]' }- F! y( p$ f. ~" h

The 30-year-old man, dressed in a traditional long Chinese gown, invited folk culture experts and lantern craftsmen to the activity.

5 A8 s; s- [. k8 ]

"Unlike today's tomato-shaped red lanterns, animals and characters from ancient literature are often pictured on the traditional lantern shades. The craftsmanship is so delicate that the artist may paint a woman's hair seven times," said Chang Renchun, 76, an expert on Chinese traditions.

. p1 Z* a4 B2 m4 v* F6 L2 A

Strips of red paper hang from the lanterns with word puzzles, and anyone who answers correctly can win a prize, Chang said, sitting in a beautiful old wooden chair under a sea of bobbing lanterns.

, _, m5 f- k* A: ?+ ?+ L' {

"I am glad to learn so many traditional rituals," said Jia Yan,a 24-year-old graduate student of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, who won three gifts from the organizers.

/ l% k! K9 q+ t# ?

He rushed to the activity after discovering it on the Old Beijing website, but none of his schoolmates joined him.

: r7 g0 J( m2 G1 ]3 W& p3 K

"It was a great fun. I used to think eating yuanxiao and letting off fireworks were the only festive things we did," said Gao Lanxin, a 12-year old girl in a traditional Chinese red coat.

. C$ `! R; k& K( A- H" C/ K" ~

She tried nail-touching, a game married women play in the hope of having a male baby in the new year. In Chinese the word nail, or "ding", is pronounced like the word 'male'.

& m$ D# h% C0 f

But organizers do not underestimate the difficulty of preserving these traditions in a fast developing society.

1 p, B; m* \- c

"We need to resort to modern marketing methods to promote the old traditions," said Gao Wei. Publicizing their ceremony on the internet attracted some netizens to the restaurant. A few supermarkets are using word puzzles to attract customers and some parks are earning money by holding lantern exhibitions.

- [* m M. ^2 B/ l6 ?, m

"In the aftermath of the Cultural Revolution (1966-76), a lot of old traditions are little more than memories for elderly Beijingers," said Zhang Wei.

6 V, i; C" `4 _) K1 x: ^3 _

"We are trying hard to revive the traditions, but there is a long way to go," Zhang said, looking around at the empty seats in the restaurant.

' f6 i+ |8 g- F, v9 n% S' t! c

7 B5 U, [) p' ]( M: ?- Q9 \) r

/ e+ q8 _( z$ ^' J2 H: u: [5 I: M

Lantern Festival celebrated in traditional way across Guangdong (photo source: Guangzhou Daily web edition)

& b& a# S$ i! ]

Meizhou: Fire Dragon Dance

`, M0 U, G1 [1 p+ c, ]0 |

Shaoguan Nanxiong: 300-meter-long Dragon

; m s9 H, c$ M. I \9 O0 }6 x

Shunde: Sweet dumping is a must-eat of the day. Look at this giant dumping!

* T9 H- `) U. t% B4 q3 q2 |

Suixi: 100 lions perform together to celebrate the Lantern Festival

回复

举报

发表于 2009-5-14 14:10:00 | 显示全部楼层

2 p) n0 M# M, Y7 B# `" a; \

what about this

U P3 C' |% _' k: X

# q: r+ F+ K' t" q6 |

& ^9 J$ r+ |- ~, n# j4 q g

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册老北京网

本版积分规则

上个主题 下个主题 快速回复 返回列表 官方QQ群

2000.11.1,老北京网自创办之日起,已经运行了 | 老北京网

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 05:13 , Processed in 1.129562 second(s), 6 queries , MemCache On.

道义 良知 责任 担当

CopyRight © 2000-2022 oldbeijing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部